Workplace Resources

After experiencing a traumatic event, some people may find that they are having a hard time focusing, keeping up with work, or not being able to attend work at all. In other situations, people may need to change where or how they work to minimize impacts and/or avoid retraumatization or traumatic indecent recall. SVPRO can help arrange for temporary work reassignment, location reassignment, or scheduling changes, as well as help you navigate available leaves, supports, and systems available through WorkSafeBC if the incident(s) occurred at work. When impacts from sexual violence include mental or physical illness or injury, the terms of your employment may provide for medical leave.

This page identifies some general resources and options, but what’s available in any situation is specific to the context and person or people involved. SVPRO can help you learn about, navigate, assess, and access systems for workplace supports, leaves and accommodations to support you in determining which are right for you.

Temporary work reassignment, location reassignment, or scheduling changes

Under UBC’s Sexual Misconduct Policy, employees have access to temporary workplace measures to support them after being impacted by sexualized violence. Measures include temporary reassignment, changing your position and/or type of work, as well as changes to your location and/or work schedule. An SVPRO Support Specialist can help you identify what workplace measures may be helpful to you, and they can liaise, communicate, and provide any necessary documentation to obtain these measures, at your request and with your guidance.

“Domestic Violence Leave” for intimate partner and sexual violence

All employees in BC who experience the effects of domestic or sexual violence are eligible for “Domestic Violence Leave” under the Employment Standards Act, which consists of up to five days of paid leave, up to five days of unpaid leave, and up to an additional 15 weeks of unpaid leave if needed, per calendar year. An SVPRO Support Specialists can help you access this leave, including liaising with your supervisor/HR, providing information to a supervisor/HR (only at your request), and acting as a communication conduit.

Medical or sick leave

Most UBC employees, as well as others who work in unionized workplaces or have sick leave provisions in their terms of employment, can access paid leaves based on mental or physical illness or injury, which can occur related to impacts of trauma. An SVPRO Support Specialist can help you figure out what you have access to for medical/sick leave. You can also find out about provisions for medical/sick leave by contacting your union or professional association, or in your collective agreement or terms of employment. For UBC employees, see Collective Agreements and Terms and Conditions of employment.