Reporting Options

Reporting is voluntary, and is not required for support services. It is your decision, and you do not have to make it alone.

People who have experienced sexual violence have access to a range of reporting options and can choose to engage with any, all, or none of them. SVPRO does not receive reports, but can help you learn about your options:

  • For action by UBC, sexual misconduct can be reported to the UBC Investigations Office. Reporting to UBC’s Investigation Office is separate from reporting to the police.
  • Sexual assault and other forms of sexual violence including, sexual harassment, and stalking, can be reported to police.
  • People harmed by sexual violence may also access the civil court system to seek compensation.
  • Discrimination and harassment can be reported by filing a complaint with the BC Human Rights Tribunal. Contact UBC’s Equity and Inclusion Office to learn more.

Why some people report or don’t report

Why do some people report?

Reporting is usually required to initiate an investigation, which can lead to action by relevant authorities, such as UBC and/or police, against the perpetrator. Some people who have experienced sexual violence may want outcomes that require reporting and investigation, such as incarceration or expulsion.

SVPRO can help you learn more and decide what’s right for you.

Why do some people avoid reporting?

There are many valid reasons people choose not to report. Since reporting can lead to investigation, some people do not wish to pursue it. It is your decision, and you do not have to share your reasons with anyone. UBC’s policies are clear that reporting is your choice. SVPRO, and others in the campus community who may be involved in supporting you, will respect your decisions about reporting or not reporting.
SVPRO can help you understand challenges and possibilities related to reporting, so that you can make the decisions that are best for you, with all the information you need.

To request education or training related to reporting, or to find more information for why people do or don’t report, submit an Outreach request form to SVPRO.

If you are unsure how you would like to proceed

Contact SVPRO by calling 604 822 1588, from 8:30 am – 4:30 pm, Monday to Friday. To contact SVPRO after hours, you can leave a message or email to request an appointment the next day.

Reporting to the police

We recognize this is not a safe option for many people.

A criminal report is by no means required, though there is a persistent myth that suggests it is somehow the responsibility of the survivor to stop their assailant by way of reporting to the police. This is emphatically false. The only responsibility lies with the perpetrator.

Survivors get to decide if making a criminal report is the right option for themselves. Some people choose this option because they are seeking a carceral outcome for the person who perpetrated the act of violence.

For those who choose this option, SVPRO can provide support while you prepare to report, and can accompany you to the police.

  • If the assault occurred on UBC campus, you can report to the RCMP University Detachment (2990 Wesbrook Mall) by calling the non-emergency line at 604-224-1322.
  • If the assault occurred in Vancouver, you can report to the Vancouver Police Department (2120 Cambie Street) by calling the non-emergency line at 604-717-3321.
  • If the assault occurred outside of Vancouver, you can report to the police in the city where the incident occurred. If you are not sure which option is right for you, SVPRO can help you figure out which police detachment to contact and how to connect with them.

Third-party reporting

In BC, someone who has experienced sexual violence can make an anonymous report to the police through what is called “Third-Party Reporting.” This is also available to people who have received a disclosure about or witnessed another person’s experience of sexual violence. Third-party reports allow for anonymity and are a way to share information without triggering a police investigation. Third-party reporting occurs through government recognized programs, typically community-based victim services.

As a relatively new office, SVPRO does not yet have the legal status to receive third-party reports, but we can provide support in writing third party reports and can connect with a third-party agency for submission.

You don’t have to decide now. There is no time limit to report a sexual assault to the police.

If you have accessed a sexual assault service at a hospital, they can collect and store forensic evidence for up to 1 year.
Learn more about medical options and resources.

Contact SPVRO

Call 604 822 1588 from 8:30 am – 4:30 pm, Monday to Friday to get support and explore your options. To contact SVPRO after hours, you can leave a message or email to request an appointment the next day.

Reporting to UBC

Reporting to UBC is an option when the violence or harm was perpetrated by someone in the UBC community, in a UBC-controlled space, at an off-campus UBC events, or if the incident has a real and substantial connection to UBC. If you submit a report, UBC can investigate and take action related to access to UBC programs and spaces against the person or people who perpetrated.

SVPRO can provide support while you prepare to report, and can accompany you through the investigation process. For UBC to investigate sexual violence or misconduct, a report must be submitted to the Investigations Office.

How to submit a report

To submit a report of sexual misconduct to UBC:

  1. To report Sexual Misconduct, complete the UBC Investigations Office Report Form.
  2. Upload any supporting documentation such as screenshots, photos, or a witness list as prompted when completing the form.
  3. At the bottom of the form, you can click to submit your report, or to save and continue later. Once you have included all of the information and supporting documents that you wish to provide, click submit to send your report to the Director of Investigations.

There are no time limits or restrictions about making a report, so long as jurisdiction is established, and SVPRO can provide support through the whole process.

After submitting a report

  1. The Director of Investigations will review your report to determine if UBC can investigate your report according to the UBC Sexual Assault Misconduct Policy.
  2. If the university has jurisdiction to investigate, the Director of Investigations will notify you and assign an investigator.
  3. The Director of Investigations is required to give a copy of your report to the respondent, the person who the report is made against. Your contact information will not be included on the copy provided to the respondent.
  4. The investigator will contact you to arrange an interview and tell you about the investigation process.

Reporting third party and anonymous allegations to UBC

Individuals can submit reports about sexual violence and related types of harm that happened to others who are members of the UBC community (third-party allegations), as well as anonymous reports about things they have seen or experienced, to UBC through the Investigations Office.

Investigation of such reports may not be possible, depending on the availability of evidence and the desires of the person or people who experienced the harm being reported. Such reports may also lead to action under UBC’s At-Risk Behaviour Policy if there is imminent risk of harm to any member(s) of the UBC community. These reports are confidentially housed within SVPRO, so they contribute to the overall information about our campus community, patterns, and behaviours occurring.

Members of the UBC Community who receive a disclosure are expected to honour the choices of the person making the disclosure and should not submit a report that could interfere with the decision of the person making the disclosure.

To learn more about reporting to UBC, connect with an SVPRO Support Specialist by calling 604 822 1588 or emailing SVPRO at You can also visit the Investigations Office website to learn more.