Report Options

There is no one right way to respond after a sexual assault

  • Reporting is voluntary, and not required for support services. It is your decision, although you do not have to make it alone.
  • People who have experienced sexual violence have access to a range of reporting options and can choose to engage with any, all, or none of them.
  • SVPRO does not receive reports, but can help you learn about your options.
  • For action by UBC, sexual misconduct, including sexual harassment, sexual assault, and stalking can be reported to the UBC Investigations Office. Reporting to UBC’s Investigations Office is separate from reporting to the police.
  • Sexual assault and other forms of sexual violence including, sexual harassment and stalking can also be reported to the police.
  • People harmed by sexual violence may also access the civil court system to seek compensation.
  • Discrimination and harassment can be reported by filing a complaint with the BC Human Rights Tribunal. Contact UBC’s Equity and Inclusion Office to learn more.

Deciding to Report

Reporting is usually required for an investigation to happen, which can lead to action by relevant authorities (such as UBC and/or police) against someone who perpetrated an act of sexual violence.

  • Some people who have experienced sexual violence may want outcomes that require reporting and investigation, such as incarceration or expulsion.
  • For some people, reporting may inspire feelings of empowerment, regardless of outcome.
  • Other times, people choose to report because they want the person who harmed them to know that their behaviour was not acceptable.

Conversely, there are also many valid reasons people choose not to report.

  • Some people do not feel comfortable reporting to authorities. Reporting may not feel safe based on their identities or their experience.
  • Some people do not like the idea of punitive consequences and would prefer an educational or restorative approach. This is not necessarily inconsistent with reporting, Alternative Resolution with the UBC Investigations Office may be a possible option to explore. The Investigations Office does not offer Restorative Justice solutions.
  • Others may not want to experience the process of reporting and would prefer to approach their healing outside this context and focus on other aspects of their lives and well-being.

UBC’s policies are clear that reporting is your choice. SVPRO and others in the campus community who may be involved in supporting you, will respect your decisions about reporting or not reporting.

SVPRO can help you understand challenges and possibilities related to reporting, so that you can make the best decisions for you, with all the information you need.

Learn more about the process

Call us at 604-822-1588 or email us at

We are open Monday to Friday from 8:30am to 4:30pm to provide support and explore your options.

Your options

If you have experienced sexual violence, you have a variety of reporting options.

You might consider making a report to the university and/or other law enforcement authorities such as the police.

The two reporting processes are separate. Reporting to UBC is not the same as making a report to the police.

We recognize this is not a safe option for many people.

This method of reporting to law enforcement is required to make a criminal report. The survivor is by no means required to make a criminal report, though there is a myth suggesting that it is somehow the responsibility of the survivor to stop their assailant by way of reporting to the police. This is emphatically false.

The only responsibility lies with the perpetrator. Survivors get to decide if making a criminal report is the right option for themselves.

Some people choose this option because they are seeking punitive consequences for the person who perpetrated the act of violence, including incarceration.

For those who choose this option, SVPRO can provide support while you prepare to report, and can accompany you to the police.

Which police you will report to depends on where the incident(s) occurred.

If the assault occurred on UBC campus, you can report to the RCMP.

RCMP University Detachment: 2990 Wesbrook Mall
Non-emergency line: 604-224-1322

If the assault occurred in Vancouver, you can report to the Vancouver Police Department.
Vancouver Police Department: 2120 Cambie Street
Non-emergency line: 604-717-3321

If the assault occurred outside of Vancouver, you can report to the police in the city where the incident occurred. If you are not sure which option is right for you, SVPRO can help you figure out which police detachment to contact and how to connect with them.

Third-party report

If you want to report a sexual assault to police and remain anonymous, you can make a Third-Party Report. SVPRO can help you learn about the process and options for filing a Third-Party Report. We will not share your name or any other identifying information without your express consent.

Next steps

Call us at 604 822 1588 during Monday to Friday, from 8:30am to 4:30pm to get support and explore your options.

It is okay if you are not sure

You don’t have to decide what to do immediately. There is no time limit to report a sexual assault, that occurred in Canada, to the police.

If you have accessed a sexual assault service at a hospital, they can collect and store forensic evidence for up to 1 year.

View your medical options

Reporting to UBC is an option when the violence or harm was perpetrated by someone in the UBC community, in a UBC-controlled space, at an off-campus UBC events, or if the incident has a real and substantial connection to UBC. If you submit a report, UBC can investigate and take action related to access to UBC programs and spaces against the person or people who perpetrated.

SVPRO can provide support while you prepare to report, and can accompany you through the investigation process. For UBC to investigate sexual violence or misconduct, a report must be submitted to the Investigations Office.

Submitting a report

To submit a report of sexual misconduct to UBC:

  1. Complete the University of British Columbia Investigations Office Form to report sexual misconduct
  2. Upload any supporting documentation such as screenshots, photos, or a witness list as prompted when completing the form.
  3. At the bottom of the form, you can click to submit your report, or save and continue later. Once you have included all of the information and supporting documents that you wish to provide, click submit.

Remember, you can provide as much or as little information as you choose. There are no time limits or restrictions about making a report, though once the Respondent is no longer affiliated with UBC, the University has limited jurisdiction.

After you submit a report

  1. The Director of Investigations will review your report to determine if UBC can investigate your report according to the UBC Sexual Assault Misconduct Policy (pdf).
  2. If the university has jurisdiction to investigate, the Director of Investigations will notify you and assign an investigator.
  3. The Director of Investigations is required to give a copy of your report to the respondent, the person who the report is made against. Your contact information will not be included on the copy provided to the respondent.
  4. The investigator will contact you to arrange an interview and tell you about the investigation process.

To learn more about reporting to UBC, connect with an SVPRO Support Specialist or check out the Investigations Office website.

If you aren’t sure what to do

Call us at 604-822-1588 (Monday to Friday 8:30am-4:30pm) to explore your options.